Skip to main content

Chinese Buddhism and the I Ching: Why It Developed Differently

 Hello everyone, I am Huishan, a consultant.

Today we are going to talk about an ambiguous yet crucial question for many people: Why did Buddhism, upon arriving in China, become what we see today?

Some call it Chinese Buddhism, others refer to it as Han‑Chinese Buddhism. What is the proper term for it?

Recently, after finishing my video‑series breakdown of the Tao Te Ching, it occurred to me that the I‑Ching (Book of Changes) is the intellectual matrix of Chinese culture. To study Eastern culture and wisdom while skipping the I‑Ching is like gazing only at the surface of the ocean without understanding the laws of tides and ocean currents.

I explore this connection in I Ching for Decision-Making: 7 Lessons for Uncertainty. Readers who want the complete book framework can continue to The Psychology of the I Ching book page.

When Buddhism first originated in the time of Shakyamuni Buddha in ancient India, there existed only one version of its teachings. Over time and across geographic expansion, Buddhism gradually branched into three major traditions:

  • Theravada Buddhism (predominant in Southeast Asia, preserving early Buddhist teachings)
  • Tibetan Buddhism (assimilating indigenous Bon religion and featuring elaborate ritual systems)
  • Han‑Chinese Buddhism (the version comprehensible and practicable for Chinese people)

To elaborate further: rooted in Pali scriptures, Theravada Buddhism emphasises monastic discipline, original teachings, and individual liberation. It is the tradition closest to the Buddhism of the Buddha’s own era.

Tibetan Buddhism developed within high‑plateau civilisations. Merging with native beliefs, it formed a detailed and profound system of spiritual practice.

As Buddhist teachings entered the Central Plains of China, Han‑Chinese Buddhism deeply interfaced with Confucianism, Taoism, and the underlying structures of Chinese philosophy, giving rise to schools such as Tiantai, Huayan, Chan (Zen), and Pure Land.

In other words, the Buddhism we observe today is a tree that regrew and branched after arriving on Chinese soil, shaped by distinct Chinese modes of thinking and cultural foundations. It is analogous to a single seed which, planted in different soils and climatic conditions, grows into a tree of different form.

Buddhism faced serious obstacles when spreading across ancient China. For instance: how could its wisdom be conveyed through the innate conceptual language of Chinese civilisation so that local populations could understand, accept and practise it?

The first requirement for any culture to take root here was learning to “speak Chinese”: aligning with Chinese patterns of thought and cultural background, drawing insights from Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism in an inclusive synthesis.

As we know, Confucianism prioritises social order, responsibility, and human ethics. It instructs people on how to conduct themselves and manage relationships within families, society and the state.

Taoism advocates alignment with nature, inner cultivation, non‑action, and the strength of softness over rigidity. It teaches people to sustain mental equilibrium amid constant change.

Buddhism itself illuminates mind‑nature, emptiness, and the path to liberation, guiding practitioners to observe the mind and understand cause‑effect and dependent origination.

Han‑Chinese Buddhism therefore took shape and found its rhythm within this culturally‑rich ecosystem of continuous cross‑pollination and co‑existence among the three traditions.

To be precise: Buddhism possessed its original form in India. When transplanted to new lands, it diversified into distinct systems. Theravada Buddhism prioritises early canonical texts, discipline, and individual liberation. Tibetan Buddhism integrates indigenous religion and rituals, placing emphasis on yidam practice and spiritual blessings. Han‑Chinese Buddhism matured within the cultural soil of the Central Plains. It absorbed Confucian ethics and the Taoist way of nature, while drawing heavily from the I‑Ching for its cosmology, theories of mind‑nature, and logic of the world.



In my view, the relationship between Han‑Chinese Buddhism and the I‑Ching resembles a river flowing along its natural riverbed, following terrain rather than forcing its course.

Buddhism teaches dependent origination, emptiness, and the Middle Way. Chinese audiences intuitively understood these ideas through I‑Ching concepts of all things evolving, yin‑yang balance, and the laws of transformation.

Wisdom formulations such as Chan’s “Ordinary mind is the Way”, Tiantai’s “Three‑thousand realms in one thought”, Huayan’s “Unobstructed interpenetration of all phenomena”, and Pure Land’s “A pure mind creates a pure land” all resonate implicitly with the world‑view of the I‑Ching.

When I trace ideas from Buddhism to the Tao Te Ching, then onward to the transformational principles of the I‑Ching, and finally back to Han‑Chinese Buddhism, I recognise these three traditions as different tributaries of one single river of wisdom. Grasp the intellectual thread of one, and the world‑views and frameworks of the other two become intuitively accessible.

The Tao Te Ching teaches us how to live as human beings. The I‑Ching shows us how to perceive the world. Han‑Chinese Buddhism fuses that world‑perceiving wisdom with methods of inner cultivation. It enables Eastern peoples to comprehend the cosmos within daily life while attaining inner freedom and peace of mind.

Crucially, for Han‑Chinese Buddhism to assume its current form, Buddhist teachings had to be restated in language intelligible to Chinese audiences upon entering China.

Han‑Chinese Buddhism bears characteristics situated between philosophy and religion, between transcending the world and engaging within it. This arose because its arrival in China coincided with engagement with the I‑Ching, a classic embodying quintessentially Chinese cosmology.

Indian traditions understand the world through “contemplating the inner mind”, and speak of inner energetic flows and the seven chakras. Chinese thought understands the world through “reading situational momentum”, emphasising the harmonious interplay and balance of yin and yang.

For Buddhist teachings to take root here, the I‑Ching — the underlying operating system of Chinese culture — became an unavoidable cultural bridge.

To illustrate: the wisdom of the Buddha may be likened to a high‑dimensional signal. Without cultural insiders performing the work of “transcoding‑decoding” into local conceptual frameworks, most people would lack the cultural context required to receive and absorb its meaning. The world‑view of the I‑Ching constitutes China’s fundamental “cultural signal receiver”.

Accordingly, Buddhism in ancient China involved far more than mere textual translation. It connected directly to the cosmological model of the I‑Ching.

The Buddhist concept of dependent origination means all phenomena arise from conditional combination and therefore possess no inherent self‑nature. Chinese audiences naturally correlated this to the I‑Ching teaching that all things emerge through transformation, where yin and yang mutually give rise to one another. The concept was readily assimilated.

The Buddhist Middle‑Way avoids extreme conduct. Chinese readers immediately recognised affinities with their own Doctrine of the Mean: moderation without excess or deficiency, corresponding to the I‑Ching’s cosmic order of yin‑yang harmony and impartial balance.

Again, the Buddhist teaching of impermanence resonated spontaneously with the I‑Ching’s three principles: change, constancy amid change, and simple underlying principle. Constant flux without fixed static states is precisely impermanence. Culturally literate readers grasped this instantly.

Gradually, the vocabulary of Chinese‑language Buddhism became nourished and reshaped by the logic of the I‑Ching, adopting patterns congruent with Chinese thought. It began to speak of following momentum, cycles of karmic cause‑and‑effect, natural fruition, “the mind moves and circumstances shift”, and “following conditions without being casual”.

Every one of these conceptual formulations finds counterparts within traditional Chinese culture. These phrases do not exist in original Indian Buddhist texts. They arose through cultural indigenisation to facilitate transmission, enabling Chinese audiences to understand Buddhism readily. Why? Because these ideas align with deep‑seated cultural heritage.

At its core, Chinese civilisation revolves around Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism. Beyond vocabulary and conceptual models, these traditions prioritise “symbolic imagery”: reading celestial phenomena for agricultural timing, interpreting human events for fortune and misfortune, and judging transformations through yin‑yang dynamics. The I‑Ching’s framework of Image, Number and Principle has permeated Chinese speech, emotion, and modes of judgement.

Studying Tibetan Buddhism highlights how vital local cultural soil is. On the vast high‑altitude Tibetan plateau, people experienced a powerful sense of the divine. Buddhism there assimilated Bon, shamanistic elements, and pantheistic systems, placing great weight on rituals, blessings, and the power of yidam deities.

China’s cultural orientation stands distinct. Chinese thought holds that “the Heavenly Dao resides within humanity”. We value subtlety, introspection, and philosophical inquiry. This context birthed Chan’s “direct pointing to the human mind”, Tiantai’s “the mind equals the cosmos”, Huayan’s “unobstructed interpenetration of all phenomena”, Pure Land’s “a pure mind creates a pure land”, and even the highly abstract reasoning style of the Diamond Sutra.

This explains why Han‑Chinese Buddhism and the I‑Ching, though lacking explicit direct citations to one another, harmonise at every turn.

Buddhism teaches “dependent origination and emptiness”; the I‑Ching states “When conditions reach an impasse, change occurs; change brings breakthrough”. Buddhism speaks of unobstructed engagement with conditions; the I‑Ching declares “Heaven moves with vigour; the noble‑minded person strengthens themselves unceasingly. Earth’s power is receptive; the noble‑minded person carries all things with abundant virtue”. Buddhism teaches inner cultivation by observing the arising and ceasing of thoughts; the I‑Ching counsels “Examine one’s positional circumstance”.

Both traditions affirm that the world is fluid, and human beings must find their own rhythm and direction amid transformation.

Thus Buddhism, upon entering China, evolved from a teaching focused on liberation from samsara into a wisdom of balance. Indian Buddhism prioritises transcendence of worldly existence, while Chinese culture cherishes yin‑yang harmony. Han‑Chinese Buddhism therefore developed as a path of practice within everyday life, realising insight amid movement and stillness: not fleeing the world nor abandoning it, but sustaining inner equilibrium while dwelling within it.

Chan’s well‑known sayings “Ordinary mind is the Way” and “Go have some tea” appear deceptively simple, yet embody the spirit of the I‑Ching: the Great Dao is not confined to abstract metaphysics. It resides within every thought, the present moment, and ordinary daily activities. When the mind leans astray, fortune and misfortune follow thought. When the mind is upright, all things naturally thrive in harmony.

The I‑Ching’s mode of thinking through symbolic imagery profoundly reshaped Buddhism’s Chinese expression. The I‑Ching draws insights from natural imagery and processes of transformation, using symbols to perceive the Dao and to understand the mind. Han‑Chinese Buddhism inherited and advanced this mode of thought. Chan employs bamboo, water, moonlight and mirrors to illustrate mind‑nature. Huayan uses the vast metaphor of unobstructed interpenetration to portray the mutual inclusion of all cosmic phenomena. Tiantai explains the co‑generation of mind and the world through “Three‑thousand realms in one thought”.

These symbols are not mere similes. They allow practitioners to access their own inner mind through outer phenomena and reach ultimate reality through observable appearances.

Deeper fusion took place within philosophies of mind‑nature. The I‑Ching holds that “fortune, misfortune, regret and humiliation all arise from movement”; a shift in one thought stirs heaven and earth. Buddhism likewise states “The three realms are nothing but mind; all phenomena are manifestations of consciousness”.

Han‑Chinese Buddhism thereby forged a distinct form of Chinese wisdom: the outer world unfolds from one’s inner mind‑nature. To transform one’s destiny, one does not beseech heaven or gods; rather one turns inward to cultivate the mind. This represents the point of convergence for Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism in theories of mind‑nature, and embodies the most distinctly Chinese character of Han‑Chinese Buddhism.

Moreover, self‑cultivation principles from the I‑Ching were naturally integrated into Buddhist practice: Understanding change corresponds to wisdom; following momentum corresponds to the Middle Way; maintaining impartial centre corresponds to observing precepts; remaining tranquil and unperturbed corresponds to meditative concentration; responding spontaneously when stirred corresponds to insight contemplation.

In summary, in my view, Buddhism in China preserved its core teaching of liberation while also becoming a complete body of life‑wisdom for regulating the mind, temperament, and destiny. It enables people both to engage with the world and transcend it; to interpret human existence and to give solace to the soul.

When I discuss which wisdoms Han‑Chinese Buddhism absorbed from the I‑Ching, I do not mean it simply extracted discrete cultural content. Rather these two systems resonate at the deepest level of underlying world‑view.

Buddhism was not remoulded out of shape in China. Instead it joined with the I‑Ching to collectively form the spiritual bedrock of Chinese civilisation: understanding the world through transformation, settling mind‑nature through balance, uncovering essential truth through symbolic imagery, and generating one’s destiny from within the mind.

This is the Chinese soul of Han‑Chinese Buddhism.

Popular posts from this blog

Theravada vs Mahayana Buddhism: Key Differences

 Two Paths of Awakening: Liberation from Suffering or Transformation Within the World? Theravada Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism are the two major traditions that have shaped Buddhist practice across Asia. Although both traditions are rooted in the teachings of the Buddha, they developed different understandings of suffering, liberation, enlightenment, and the purpose of spiritual practice. The simplest way to understand the difference is this: Theravada Buddhism focuses on how human beings liberate themselves from suffering and the cycle of samsara. Mahayana Buddhism focuses on how awakening and Buddha-nature can unfold within this very world. One tradition emphasizes transcendence beyond the cycle of existence. The other emphasizes transformation through wisdom and compassion while remaining engaged with life. However, the deeper question is not which tradition is superior. The deeper question is: What kind of spiritual path truly matches the way we understand suffering, freedom...

Why Did the Buddha Leave His Palace? The Four Sights That Changed Siddhartha's Life

Why Did the Buddha Leave His Palace? The Four Sights That Changed Siddhartha's Life Why did the Buddha leave his palace? The familiar answer is that Prince Siddhartha saw four things his protected life could no longer hide: old age, sickness, death, and a wandering seeker. But the deeper reason was not that he hated his family or rejected ordinary life. He had discovered a question that comfort could not answer: If everything I love can change, weaken, and disappear, is there a way to live without being ruled by fear? This is the story of the Four Sights and the Great Renunciation—not merely as a religious legend, but as a psychological turning point that still speaks to anyone whose carefully arranged life has been interrupted by reality. The Legendary Life of Shakyamuni Buddha Follow Siddhartha from sheltered prince to awakened teacher through a psychologically informed retelling of the Buddha's life. For readers who want the human story behind Bud...

Hinduism vs Buddhism: Why India’s Caste System Endures

Hello everyone, I’m Huishan. Have you ever wondered: Two major religions were born in India, yet Buddhism teaches “equality and liberation,” while Hinduism preserves a system of “caste and reincarnation.” The Buddha taught people to let go of identity and transcend desire; while Hinduism taught people to accept their destiny and submit to social order. Why, after more than two thousand years of tension between these two traditions, did Buddhism eventually retreat from its homeland in India, while Hinduism became even more deeply rooted? Why has the caste system never been completely dismantled? Today, I want to take you deeper into these two seemingly closely related systems and examine just how fundamentally different they really are. Two Spiritual Traditions, Two Different Directions In the 6th century BCE, India gave rise to two enormous spiritual ...