Skip to main content

Why I Wrote Diamond Sutra Psychology: Buddhist Wisdom for Modern Emotional Life

Hello everyone, I’m Huishan.

I am often asked: With an abundance of books and resources on psychology and emotional healing already available, why would I devote immense time and diligent effort to crafting works that bridge Buddhist wisdom and modern psychology?

Diamond Sutra Psychology book cover by LiaoHuishan
Featured Book

Diamond Sutra Psychology

How the Buddha Teaches You to Cultivate Inner Wisdom

A practical bridge between Buddhist wisdom and modern psychology for readers exploring attachment, impermanence, emotional healing, relationships, identity, and inner peace.

Buy on Amazon →

The answer resides wholly in my professional journey and the profound life observations I have gathered over the years.

As my long-time followers know well, I serve as a psychological counselor and NLP executive coach, with seven years of experience as a corporate human resources director. Throughout my career, I have borne witness to countless human struggles and inner tribulations.

I have sat with clients overwhelmed by breakdowns and sorrow in counseling rooms, accompanied workplace practitioners trapped in persistent mental burnout, and understood countless ordinary souls tossing restlessly through the night, lost in the fog of life’s uncertainty.

Though these individuals differ in identity, circumstance, and personal troubles, they share a common spiritual undertone: an unnameable restlessness, an intangible inner void, and a lingering weariness that never truly fades.

Why Modern Psychology Can Still Leave an Inner Void

We live in an era of booming digital advancement, saturated with self-healing literature and therapeutic methodologies. Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, emotion therapy, logotherapy and other systematic healing approaches are widely accessible. Nearly everyone has mastered tools for emotional regulation, cognitive restructuring and behavioral adjustment.

Yet I have observed countless people equipped with all these psychological skills, still unable to break free from inner predicaments. What they lack is a rooted, unshakable inner serenity — a spiritual anchor, a true home for the wandering mind.

In time, I came to perceive this profound modern disparity.

Western psychology, pioneered by Jung, Adler and other masters, excels at resolving superficial psychological wounds, mending emotional fractures and rectifying cognitive biases. Yet it overlooks the most profound human need in modern times: the longing for spiritual dwelling and existential peace.

I hold no denial toward the value of psychology. It is a scientific, practical tool for life. Much like a delicate, precise broom, it sweeps away emotional dust, heals inner scars, corrects distorted cognition, untangles chaotic mental states, and helps us order our lives with clarity and efficiency.

Nevertheless, psychology bears an inherent boundary. It can pinpoint where suffering arises and teach us how to cease pain, yet it cannot answer humanity’s ultimate existential questions: Who am I? How ought I to live? Where lies the ultimate belonging of life?

Twenty-five hundred years ago, Buddha already unfolded the most thorough, profound and ultimate answers to these eternal questions.

Psychology as a Broom, Buddhist Wisdom as a Foundation

I often use a metaphor to distinguish these two disciplines. Psychology is a broom, capable of cleansing every corner of the mind, leaving one’s inner world spotless. Yet a broom can never eradicate the endless resurgence of inner turmoil, especially the existential confusion surrounding life’s meaning.

Buddha’s teachings, by contrast, are like the invisible air and the solid foundation beneath our feet. They do not merely clear temporary dust, but reshape the entire framework and spiritual atmosphere of the inner world, eliminating the root of recurring suffering.

Why I Bridge Buddhist Wisdom and Modern Psychology

This is why I have persisted in writing and sharing insights across these two disciplines. I aspire to build a bridge spanning two worlds of wisdom.

On one side stands the 2,500-year-old Eastern wisdom of cultivating the mind; on the other, the rigorous, empirical science of modern psychology. On one side lies transcendent life wisdom beyond worldly gains and losses; on the other, ordinary people dwelling in mortal life, sincerely seeking peace amid earthly trials and tribulations.

My greatest wish is for more souls to find deliverance and serenity through Buddha’s timeless wisdom.

What The Diamond Sutra and Psychology Offers Modern Readers

The Diamond Sutra and Psychology marks my landmark work that first brought my insights to public recognition in China. I never presume to fully grasp the profound and boundless mysteries of The Diamond Sutra. Yet I possess precious practical insights accumulated from countless psychological cases, have witnessed the full spectrum of human inner vicissitudes, and hold a dual perspective nurtured by Eastern spiritual edification and Western scientific training.

For this reason, every interpretation and reflection in this book stems from real worldly confusion, genuine inner affliction, and authentic self-redemption.

Throughout the creation of this book, I have always upheld Buddha’s original teaching: True wisdom never breeds blind faith or attachment, but awakens inner awareness and self-reflection.

This book is neither an obscure academic interpretation of ancient scriptures, nor a hollow collection of superficial spiritual sentiments. It imposes no rigid dogma, provides no stereotyped standard answers, and never turns ancient wisdom into shackles that bind the human spirit.

In alignment with Buddha’s original teachings, it advocates inner awareness and self-examination. It requires no religious devotion, no blind obedience to so-called truth, and offers no rigid formulas or quick-fix shortcuts.

Faithfully following the original dialogue context of The Diamond Sutra, I unpack its core philosophical insights layer by layer, translating the ancient wisdom of emptiness into tangible guidance for modern life — encompassing workplace gains and losses, intimate relationships, self-identity, and spiritual growth through adversity.

This book helps you perceive how obsessions breed internal friction, how desires fetter the true self, and how impermanence reshapes life’s journey. It teaches you to retain clarity amid mortal chaos, let go of trivial entanglements, and walk forward with freedom and tranquility.

Furthermore, the book is appended with a complete vernacular translation of The Diamond Sutra, allowing readers to compare, contemplate and comprehend the wisdom independently.

Finally, if this book brings you a moment of relief and joy, and helps you reconcile gently with yourself and the world, all my diligent days and nights of research and writing will have been perfectly fulfilled.

Popular posts from this blog

Theravada vs Mahayana Buddhism: Key Differences

 Two Paths of Awakening: Liberation from Suffering or Transformation Within the World? Theravada Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism are the two major traditions that have shaped Buddhist practice across Asia. Although both traditions are rooted in the teachings of the Buddha, they developed different understandings of suffering, liberation, enlightenment, and the purpose of spiritual practice. The simplest way to understand the difference is this: Theravada Buddhism focuses on how human beings liberate themselves from suffering and the cycle of samsara. Mahayana Buddhism focuses on how awakening and Buddha-nature can unfold within this very world. One tradition emphasizes transcendence beyond the cycle of existence. The other emphasizes transformation through wisdom and compassion while remaining engaged with life. However, the deeper question is not which tradition is superior. The deeper question is: What kind of spiritual path truly matches the way we understand suffering, freedom...

Why Did the Buddha Leave His Palace? The Four Sights That Changed Siddhartha's Life

Why Did the Buddha Leave His Palace? The Four Sights That Changed Siddhartha's Life Why did the Buddha leave his palace? The familiar answer is that Prince Siddhartha saw four things his protected life could no longer hide: old age, sickness, death, and a wandering seeker. But the deeper reason was not that he hated his family or rejected ordinary life. He had discovered a question that comfort could not answer: If everything I love can change, weaken, and disappear, is there a way to live without being ruled by fear? This is the story of the Four Sights and the Great Renunciation—not merely as a religious legend, but as a psychological turning point that still speaks to anyone whose carefully arranged life has been interrupted by reality. The Legendary Life of Shakyamuni Buddha Follow Siddhartha from sheltered prince to awakened teacher through a psychologically informed retelling of the Buddha's life. For readers who want the human story behind Bud...

Hinduism vs Buddhism: Why India’s Caste System Endures

Hello everyone, I’m Huishan. Have you ever wondered: Two major religions were born in India, yet Buddhism teaches “equality and liberation,” while Hinduism preserves a system of “caste and reincarnation.” The Buddha taught people to let go of identity and transcend desire; while Hinduism taught people to accept their destiny and submit to social order. Why, after more than two thousand years of tension between these two traditions, did Buddhism eventually retreat from its homeland in India, while Hinduism became even more deeply rooted? Why has the caste system never been completely dismantled? Today, I want to take you deeper into these two seemingly closely related systems and examine just how fundamentally different they really are. Two Spiritual Traditions, Two Different Directions In the 6th century BCE, India gave rise to two enormous spiritual ...