A Buddhist Way to Deal With People You Dislike
Hello everyone, I am HUISHAN. Buddhist practice does not require you to like everyone; it asks you to know aversion clearly, avoid turning a person's behavior into permanent hatred, and choose boundaries that do not add unnecessary harm. Compassion can coexist with distance, accountability, and protection.
The Eight Sufferings of the Buddha: A Psychological Diagnosis of Your Emotional Roots (Buddha Meets Psychology)
For readers working with unwanted contact, aversion, compassionate boundaries, and the difference between non-hatred and unsafe access. Read or buy the paperback edition on Amazon →Separate the person, the behavior, and your reaction
Write three sentences:
- Behavior: “They interrupt me and mock colleagues in meetings.”
- Impact: “I become tense and avoid speaking.”
- Story: “They are entirely bad and will never change.”
The behavior and impact may be well supported. The total story goes beyond the evidence. Releasing that story does not require denying the behavior.
Aversion is an experience, not a command
Dislike can arise quickly in the body: contraction, heat, rehearsal, or an urge to attack or flee. Buddhist mindfulness begins by knowing the reaction without making it the whole truth.
Try: “Aversion is present.” This is different from “I should not feel this” and different from “Because I feel this, the person deserves harm.” The first sentence creates a small space for choice.
Choose the right level of contact
Compassion does not prescribe unlimited access. Use a four-level map:
- Ordinary irritation: practice patience, perspective, and direct communication.
- Repeated disrespect: set a clear boundary and reduce optional contact.
- Institutional harm: document facts and use appropriate reporting or accountability channels.
- Threat or abuse: prioritize safety, distance, and qualified local support.
Do not use loving-kindness meditation as a reason to remain exposed to violence, stalking, coercion, or discrimination.
A five-minute practice before contact
- Name the trigger: Which behavior are you expecting?
- Name the body response: Tight jaw, fast heart, heat, collapse, or something else.
- Name the boundary: What will you do if the behavior occurs?
- Name the intention: “I will be clear without humiliation.”
- Name the exit: How will you end the interaction if it is no longer constructive?
Preparation is not a guarantee that the other person will behave well. It reduces the chance that surprise will choose your conduct.
Loving-kindness is not forced affection
If phrases of love feel false, begin with non-harm: “May I not feed hatred. May this person not create more harm. May those affected be protected.” You can wish for the conditions that reduce harmful behavior without inviting closeness.
Do not begin with the most dangerous person in your life. Practice first with yourself, a supportive person, or a neutral person. If the exercise destabilizes you, stop.
Use boundaries that describe your action
A boundary is clearer when it states what you will do:
- “If the conversation includes insults, I will end it.”
- “I will discuss the project in writing.”
- “I am not available for comments about my body.”
- “I will report threats through the established channel.”
“You must become someone I like” is not an enforceable boundary. Your conduct and access are where your agency begins.
When moral outrage is justified
Racism, harassment, cruelty, corruption, and abuse should not be reduced to a private irritation. Ethical action may require naming harm, protecting others, reporting facts, or opposing a policy.
The Buddhist question is not “How do I become neutral about injustice?” It is “Can I act firmly without letting hatred destroy accuracy, proportionality, and concern for consequences?”
Review the encounter afterward
Ask what actually happened, whether the boundary was followed, where your story exceeded the facts, and what next level of contact is appropriate. Do not grade yourself on whether dislike disappeared. Grade the conduct: Did you reduce avoidable harm? Did you protect what needed protection? Did you remain accurate?
Remember that you can also be difficult
Practice becomes more honest when it includes the possibility that your tone, timing, assumptions, or repeated habits contribute to another person's distress. This does not mean accepting false blame. Ask one trusted person for behavior-specific feedback: “When I am frustrated, what do I do that makes conversation harder?” Listen for an observable example before defending yourself.
If repair is needed, name the behavior, acknowledge its impact, and state what you will change. Do not demand immediate forgiveness as proof that the apology worked. Accountability toward your own conduct and boundaries toward someone else's conduct can exist at the same time.
How unwanted contact fits the Eight Sufferings
Association with what is disliked is one traditional form of suffering. The teaching does not promise that practice will remove every difficult person. It changes the relationship to aversion and the choices made under its influence.
For a wider Buddhist-psychology map, visit the entity page for The Eight Sufferings of the Buddha.
Browse related titles in the LiaoHuishan Buddhist psychology book library.
Frequently asked questions
Do Buddhists have to like everyone?
No. The practice concerns aversion, conduct, and wisdom, not manufacturing affection for every person.
Can I avoid someone and still be compassionate?
Yes. Distance can reduce harm. Compassion does not require access, reconciliation, or denial of consequences.
Should I forgive harmful behavior?
Forgiveness has different meanings and cannot be forced by an article. Accountability, safety, and boundaries remain separate questions.
What if the person is a coworker I cannot avoid?
Limit interaction to the task, document specific behavior, use clear written communication, and follow appropriate workplace channels when necessary.
Does compassion mean not reporting abuse?
No. Protecting people and using appropriate accountability channels can be compassionate and necessary.
About the author: LiaoHuishan (廖慧珊) writes about Buddhist psychology, Eastern wisdom, and modern emotional life.